Skip to content
David ImeI@Davidimel · Sep 16, 2026

Here’s some iPhone 18 Pro sample photos I shot over the last week. Thoughts in a thread: The new imaging pipeline is…

7 tweets1 min read♥ 2.6Koriginal

Summary

A photographer shares their hands-on impressions of the iPhone 18 Pro's camera system after a week of use, highlighting improvements in the imaging pipeline that reduces artifacting, color accuracy, and texture quality. They find the new variable aperture feature merely adequate, praise the telephoto lens performance in good light, note some low-light limitations, and request that Apple allow more than 4 image uploads per post.

Summarized by ThreadOut AI from the full thread. May miss nuance — read the thread below.

  1. #1

    Here’s some iPhone 18 Pro sample photos I shot over the last week. Thoughts in a thread: The new imaging pipeline is really great. I used to never use ProRaw because it still left the same artifacting that SooC HEIFs have traditionally done, but the new pipeline does less sharpening out of the gate which improves color and texture. Often times I didn’t have to touch the image in post at all, which was wild to me. Texture and color have really improved year over year

  2. #2

    Variable aperture is… fine. Yes there is a difference in depth of field and yes it does sun stars if you’re into that, but this feels like it’s prepping for later iPhone models and I don’t find it particularly useful here. I’m sure it’s a bit more useful for video.

  3. #3

    The telephoto is quite good in good light. You get nice natural separation and the color is consistent with the main sensor. It can still struggle a bit in lower light but so does the main sensor. It’s also definitely a little softer than the primary, as expected.

  4. #4

    Low light struggles a little bit, and handheld Astro can be rough. You’ll definitely want a tripod.

  5. #5

    Some other pictures I liked. More coming later.

  6. #6

    Overall though another wonderful trip with my photo group

  7. #7

    Also @nikitabier or whoever is in charge PLEASE let us upload more than 4 images per post 😭